Fort Travis (2)
Fort Travis (2) (1898-1947) - Established in 1898 as an Endicott Period coastal defense fortification. Named 4 Apr 1900 in G.O. 43 for William B. Travis, who, in command of Texan forces, gallantly perished in the defense of the Alamo, 6 Mar 1836. Active military post until 1947.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Galveston.
Construction on Fort Travis began in 1898 and was completed in 1899. Two batteries were built, Battery Davis (1) and Battery Ernst. The fort sustained heavy damage in the Galveston hurricane of 1900 but was rebuilt. A fifteen-foot seawall was built in 1906.
Fort Travis Seashore Park, a Galveston County Park with battery structures remaining, no period guns or carriages in place.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 15 Dec 2011, 12 Nov 2009
Fort Travis (2) Picture Gallery