Fort Walker (1)
Fort Walker (1) (1863-1864) - A Confederate defensive position established in 1863 in the defense of Atlanta during the U.S. Civil War. Named after Confederate Major General William H.T. Walker (Cullum 936) who was killed 22 Jul 1864 at the Battle of Atlanta. Abandoned after the fall of Atlanta in September 1864.
Fort Walker was the southeast salient of the Confederate inner defensive ring around the City of Atlanta built in summer and fall of 1863 during the U.S. Civil War. Construction consisted of series of 17 massive earthen redoubts all connected by rifle pits that surrounded the city. Construction was designed and supervised by Confederate Capt. Lemuel P. Grant and was completed in the Fall of 1863.
Markers and Earthworks remain in the southeastern corner of Grant Park in Atlanta, Georgia.
Visited: 9 Jul 2010