Glasgow Army Air Field
Glasgow Army Air Field (1942-1946) - A World War II U.S. Army Air Field established in 1942 near Glascow, Valley County, Montana. First named Glascow Army Air Field, Closed in 1946. Also known as Glascow Satellite Airfield.
Glasgow Army Airfield was activated on 10 Nov 1942 as one of three satellite fields of Great Falls Army Air Base which headquartered a bombardment group. The group had four Bomber Squadrons, one at Great Falls Army Air Base and one at each of the three satellite fields at Lewistown AAF, Glasgow AAF, and Cut Bank AAF. Each bomber squadron normally had 8 B-17s with 37 officers and 229 enlisted men.
The satellite fields were used by B-17 bomber crews from Second Air Force during the second phase of their training. Bombing and gunnery training was conducted at the airfield’s associated sites.
The last unit to complete training at Glasgow AAF was the 614th Bombardment Squadron of the 401st Bombardment Group, which left for England in October 1943.
A German prisoner-of-war camp was established at the field on 1 Dec 1944. On 15 Jul 1946, the Field became surplus and it was transferred to the War Assets Administration in November of 1946
Now Wokal Field, Glasgow International Airport.