Griffiss Air Force Base
Griffiss Air Force Base (1941-1995) - A United States Air Force base first established as Rome Air Depot in 1941 at Rome, Oneida County, New York. Finally renamed Griffiss Air Force Base in 1948 after many name changes. Named for Lt. Colonel Townsend E. Griffiss who was lost on a mission to Russia in 1942. Selected for closure by the Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) in 1993 with most functions ending with the base closing in 1995. Finally closed in 1998 when the airfield ceased operation. The airfield is now Griffiss International Airport, owned by Oneida County, New York.
The Rome Air Depot site was selected in May 1941 and construction began in August 1941. The base opened for beneficial occupancy on 2 Feb 1942. On 1 Feb 1942, the Rome Air Depot was activated as a World War II aircraft engine maintenance and repair depot. Throughout the war, the base provided depot-level repair services and training for repair crews.
Post World War II
Identified for closure in 1993 by the BRAC Commission. All units were deactivated or relocated except Eastern Air Defense Sector (EADS), Rome Research Site, and Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS). The base closed and 416th Bomb Wing was deactivated on 30 Sep 1995, airfield closed in 1998.
Closed as an Air Force Base with three military functions remaining now as a part of the Griffiss Business and Technology Park. The three remaining functions are (1) the Rome Research Site of the Air Force Research Lab, (2) the Eastern Air Defense Sector (EADS) of North American Air Defense Command (NORAD), and (3) the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Rome Location. The airfield is now Griffiss International Airport, owned by Oneida County, New York.
Little remains to indicate that this was an Air Force Base except for the static display of a B-52G bomber and an ALCM cruise missile at the intersection of Mohawk Drive and Perimeter Road.
Visited: 18 Jun 2016