Hawaii Arsenal (1915-19??) - First established as Hawaii Ordnance Depot in 1915 adjacent to Fort Shafter in Honolulu County, Hawaii. Renamed Hawaii Arsenal on 17 Sep 1918.
Hawaii Arsenal 1938 Aerial View
Hawaii Arsenal History
The arsenal was designed as a storage and repair facility for coastal defense armament and normal small arms equipment.
The arsenal was laid out as an equilateral triangle with a crescent added to the base. Inside the triangle the arsenal buildings formed three rows with additional buildings lining the two sides. The crescent at the base of the triangle was lined with the arsenal's quarters including the Commanding officer's quarters, his assistant officer's quarters, NCO quarters, Barracks, a stable and a garage.
The arsenal buildings that filled in the triangle included:
- Supply storehouse 50' x 190'
- Four storehouses 50' x 100'
- Five magazines 50' x 100'
- Six gun sheds 30' x 100'
- Lumber shed 30' x 100'
- Machine shop 32' x 190'
- Saddler shop 32' x 100'
A rail spur from the Oahu Railway and Land Co. provided access to the storehouses and ammunition magazines from the port wharves.
Hawaii Arsenal Partial Commanders List (edit list)
|| Lt. Col.
||Waller, Carr Wilson
||Returned to grade of Captain on March 13.
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
Some buildings remain repurposed on the post.
Location: Fort Shafter, Honolulu County, Hawaii.
Maps & Images
Lat: 21.3405884 Long: -157.8831053
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 243--244
- Wade, Herbert Treadwell, Handbook of Ordnance Data, United States Army, Ordnance Dept, GPO, 1919, Google Books, page 433-434