Old Fort Congaree
Old Fort Congaree (1718-1722) - A British colonial fort established in 1718 between the Congaree River and the Congaree Creek in Lexington County, South Carolina. Abandoned in 1722.
History of Old Fort Congaree
Established in the fall of 1718 by Captain Charles Russell and a dozen men as a fort and trading post. Built as a three sided palisaded fort with the fourth side along the river. The two land side corners each had a bastion and the entrance was protected with a ravelin. A ditch surrounded the three land sides. The post was located along the Cherokee Path.
In 1722 the government withdrew the garrison and turned the fort and the remaining provisions over to the settlers in the area. The post operated for several more years but by the time the New Fort Congaree was established in 1748 the old fort was gone.
Archeological remains only at the site. Site was located in May 1989 by archeologists. Marker on Charleston Hwy (US Hwy 21).