Old Stone Fort (3)
Old Stone Fort (3) (1779-1865) - First established in 1779 as a Spanish trading post and settler defense at present day Nacogdoches, Nacogdoches County, Texas. Used during the Texas War of Independence and the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned as a defense at the end of the U.S. Civil War in 1865. Torn down in 1902 and rebuilt in 1936 as the Old Stone Fort Museum on the present day campus of Stephen F. Austin State University. Also known as Camp Nacogdoches and Fort Nacogdoches.
History of the Old Stone Fort
Built in 1779 by Don Antonio Gil Ybarbo under Spanish rule. Used as a trading post, jail and commissary for the Indian trade. The fort played a role in the early attempts to separate Texas from Spanish and then Mexican rule in the early 1800s. These attempts included the 1813 Gutierrez-Magee Expedition, Dr. James Long's short lived Republic of Texas in 1819, the 1826-27 Fredonian Rebellion, the Battle of Nacogdoches on 2 Aug 1832 and the successful Texas Revolution (1835-1836). The first district court of the newly independent Republic was held in the Old Stone Fort on 17 Mar 1837.
During the Civil War the Old Stone Fort was used to quarter Confederate troops and may have been used by Union troops during reconstruction after the end of the war.
The Old Stone Fort was torn down in 1902 and the materials were reused in a museum building in 1907. The stone from the old building was reused again in 1936 when the Old Stone Fort was reconstructed on the campus of present day Stephen F. Austin State University.
Stephen F. Austin State University, Stone Fort Museum.