Redoubt 6 - Constitution Island
Redoubt 6 - Constitution Island (1779-1783) - A Revolutionary War Redoubt established in 1779 on the present day military reservation of the United States Military Academy on Constitution Island in Putnam County, New York. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1783.
Part of Fortress West Point.
A land side defense built on the mid island heights of Constitution Island to protect the gun batteries guarding the Great Chain and the "S" curve in the Hudson River. Redoubt 6 overlooked most of the island and could support both Redoubt 5 and Redoubt 7. Constructed of stone with dry masonry construction and may have had palisade on the parapet. Redoubt 6 was meant to hold some 120 infantrymen who would have lived in huts outside the redoubt. Recommended to be armed with four 6 pounders but no cannons listed among its armaments. Banquettes for infantrymen.
Stabilized remains on the military reservation of the United States Military Academy, Putnam County, New York. On active Military installation and access may be restricted.
Visited: 11 May 2012
Redoubt 6 - Constitution Island Picture Gallery