Fort Dayton (2)
Fort Dayton (2) (1728-1759) - A Colonial fort/trading post established in 1728 about 1/4 mile below Union Falls along the Saco River near Dayton, York County, Maine. Abandoned and dismantled in 1759 at the end of the French & Indian War. Also known as Truck House and Saco Block House. Assigned Location ID ME00089.
Established in 1728 as a trading post by order of the General Court to protect the Indian trade. The post was located about a quarter mile below Union Falls.
The fort was built of hewn logs, armed with a cannon and garrisoned by a sergeant and ten soldiers.
King George's War (1744-1748)
In 1744 the garrison was 13 men and after war was declared between France and England the garrison was increased to 20 Men.
In 1745 the colony raised a force of 450 men to protect the frontier from Berwick to Rockland. Captain Jonathan Bean was commissioned to command the garrisons from Piscataqua to the Presumpscot rivers. He was headquartered at the Saco Blockhouse (Fort Dayton) on the west bank of the Saco River near present-day Dayton.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Captain Bean was granted seven hundred acres of land at the blockhouse and lived there until after the Fort was dismantled in 1759 after the fall of Quebec at the end of the French & Indian War.
No visible remains. GPS Coordinates are approximate and not accurate.