Sevier Station (1)
Sevier Station (1) (1791-1794) - A Settler fortification established in 1791 near New Providence, Montgomery County, Tennessee. Named Sevier Station after Colonel Valentine Sevier. Abandoned as a fortification in 1794.
History of Sevier Station
A stone blockhouse established in 1792 by Colonel Valentine Sevier on a 640-acre Revolutionary War land grant. Sevier bought the land from one George Cook for the sum of 100 pounds on 11 Jul 1792. Valentine Sevier was a brother to the more famous John Sevier.
Sevier Station was attacked by a band of some 40 to 50 Indians, mostly Cherokee, on 11 Nov 1794. All the men of the fort were gone except Valentine Sevier and William Snyder. The hostile Indians killed six people, including Sevier's son Joseph. The two men successfully defended the blockhouse during a furious hour-long battle. The outpost was thereafter known as Fort Defiance.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1794.
The stone blockhouse remains and is the oldest standing structure in the county.
Visited: 13 May 2016