Siege and Mortar Battery - West Point
Siege and Mortar Battery - West Point (1836-1910) - A Siege and Mortar Battery first established between 1836 and 1859 at West Point, Orange County, New York. Probably abandoned between 1906 and 1910. The site was overbuilt with the amphitheater at West Point.
History of Siege and Mortar Battery
Established sometime between 1836 and 1859 as a training battery for West Point cadets. Really two different batteries side by side. The left side of the battery emplaced mortars while the right side emplaced siege guns on field carriages on platforms. All of the guns faced north up the Hudson River. Live firing took place with sub-caliber munitions and/or partial powder charges. The batteries were armed with what would have been armament in use at the time and the armament set changed as the times and technology changed.
Described by the Board of Visitors in their 1897 report as used for the instruction of cadets in heavy gun drill. The armament in 1897 included:
Probably abandoned between 1906 and 1910. The battery is shown fully armed and in use for training in 1905 pictures. By 1909 only two guns are shown on the siege gun side of the battery while the mortar side is still armed with small mortars. The new Battery Schofield can be seen in the 1909 picture. With the construction of Battery Byrne, mortar instruction probably transferred to this new battery. The old site was later overbuilt with the Trophy Point Amphitheater.
The site was overbuilt with the Trophy Point Amphitheater at West Point. No remains and no marker.