Stanley Barracks (1840-1947) - A British barracks complex first established as New Fort York in 1840 in the present day City of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Renamed Stanley Barracks in 1893 after Lord Stanley of Preston, Governor General of Canada. Abandoned in 1947. Also known as York Barracks.
Established in 1840 as a replacement for Fort York. Initially planned as a fortification the defenses were never constructed and the post evolved into a barracks complex. After the British troops left Canada in 1870 the post was turned over to the Canadian militia and operated by the Canadian military through World War II until 1947.
The post consisted of seven limestone buildings enclosing a square parade. The structures were originally enclosed with a stockade.
All of the post structures except for the 1841 Officer's Quarters were destroyed in the early 1950s.
Only the 1841 Officer's barracks building remains. The Officer's Quarters building is currently unoccupied and enclosed behind a fence on the grounds of the Canadian National Exhibition in Metropolitan Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Visited: 8 Aug 2013