Kootenai Post (4)
Kootenai Post (4) (1846-1860) - A Hudson's Bay Company post first established in 1846 along the Kootenai River near present day Rexford, Lincoln County, Montana. Abandoned in 1860. Also known as Fort Kootenai, Linklater Post and Tobacco House.
A Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) post was established by Edward Berland in 1846 along the Kootenai River near present-day Rexford in Lincoln County, Montana, just below the United States-Canada border. Edward Berland died in 1852 and was replaced by John Linklater visiting from the HBC Fort Colvile post each season to take charge of the trading.
When the survey of the United States-Canada border was completed and the border determined in 1860 the post was moved to the Canadian side. It was eventually replaced in Canada with Fort Steele (1).