Fort A.P. Hill
Fort A.P. Hill (1941-Present) - First established in 1941 as a U.S. Army, large scale training post. Named after native Virginian, Confederate Lt. Gen. Ambrose Powell Hill (Cullum 1345), who was killed during the siege of Petersburg in the U.S. Civil War. Active military installation.
Fort A.P. Hill became an Army training facility 11 Jun 1941 during the run-up to World War II. Initially, the post was used by the II Army Corps and for National Guard divisions from Mid-Atlantic states for maneuvers. Later, it was the staging area for MG George S. Patton’s troops who invaded French Morocco. In 1944 the post became a field training center for nearby posts (Fort Lee (4), Fort Eustis and Fort Belvoir) and for OCS candidates.
Fort A.P. Hill was a staging area for units deploying to Europe, including the VII Corps Headquarters and the Third Armored Cavalry Regiment.
The fort was used to train Engineer OCS Candidates from Fort Belvoir.
A 76,000 acre active military training installation, 80 miles south of Washington D.C.. Hosts the Boy Scouts of America National Jamboree in selected years. A part of the U.S. Army Military District of Washington.