Fort Rutledge (1776-1777) - A Revolutionary War era fort first established in 1776 at present day Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina. Named Fort Rutledge after South Carolina governor John Rutledge. Abandoned in 1777. Also known as Fort Salvador.
History of Fort Rutledge
Established in 1776 on the grounds of John C. Calhoun's plantation home in present day Clemson, South Carolina. The fort was built by Colonel Andrew Williamson in response to British instigated hostile Cherokee attacks. Colonel Williamson mounted a successful campaign against Cherokee that resulted in a treaty that ceded much of northwest South Carolina to the government. The treaty was signed 20 May 1777 marking the end of the conflict and the use of the fort as a fortification.
The exact site is unknown but a replica of the fort at is located at the end of Lake Drive in Clemson, South Carolina and includes a marker.