Category:Fort Rains

From FortWiki
Revision as of 14:20, 8 October 2005 by FortWikiSysop (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fort Rains Blockhouse, circa 1870 (University of Washington Archive)
Fort Rains Blockhouse, 1867 (University of Washington Archive)

Fort Rains (1855-) - was a blockhouse built in October 1855 to defend the Middle Cascades. The location of this structure was on the north bank of the Columbia above the present site of the Bonneville Dam and below the Bridge of the Gods. Fort Rains was named for Major Gabriel Rains who supervised the construction.

Fort Rains was one of four forts established to protect the required portage around the Cascade Rapids of the Columbia River. Fort Cascades was built at the lower end of the rapids at the point where boats coming down the Columbia reentered the water after a difficult portage. Fort Rains was built to protect the middle section of the portage and Fort Lugenbeel was located at the beginning of the portage.

On March 26, 1856, a group of Yakama and Cascade Indians attacked the white settlements at the Cascades. Settlers took refuge at Fort Rains and Bradford's Store. Fort Cascades was burned to the ground.

On March 27, 40 dragoons arrived from The Dalles under Lieutenant Philip H. Sheridan. Sheridan attempted to attack Indians engaged in horse races at the upper landing, but his movement was compromised by the bugles from a larger force under Lieutenant Edward Steptoe. Gunfire was exchanged the rest of the 27th and 28th, with the Indians surrendering late in the evening on March 28, 1856. The Yakamas fled leaving the Cascades behind. The Cascade Indians surrendered without a fight. Steptoe summarily tried and hanged nine of the Cascade Indians.

Location: Just east of Bonneville Dam on the North Side of the Columbia River.

Maps & Images

Lat: 45.65606 Long: -121.91931

Links:

Publications:

Pages in category "Fort Rains"

This category contains only the following page.