Presidio of San Bernardino

From FortWiki
Revision as of 09:09, 12 August 2026 by John Bray (talk | contribs) (Bot: Automated import of articles *** existing text overwritten ***)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Presidio of San Bernardino (1776-1780) - A Spanish presidio established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Conor in present day Sonora, Mexico. Abandoned in 1780. Also later located nearby Camp San Bernardino Ranch and Camp San Berdardino Springs in Cochise County, Arizona.

History

A Spanish Presidio established in 1776 by Irish mercenary, Hugh O'Conor, as part of a network of presidios and missions in present day southern Arizona and northern Sonora, Mexico. These presidios were under constant attack from hostile Apache Indians and were unable to adequately protect themselves much less build and protect any surrounding missions. The southern Arizona presidios included:

The post was abandoned by 1780.

Current Status

Sixteen miles east of Douglas on the Sonora, Mexico side of the border.


Loading map...

Location: 16 miles east of Douglas on the Sonora, Mexico side of the border.
Map point is the Sonora, Mexico location.
Lat: 31.31667 Long: -109.25000 Bing, Google


GPS Locations: 31.31667, -109.25000 31.33663, -109.27978

Sources:

Links:

Fortification ID:

  • AZ0213 - Presidio of San Bernardino