Camp Baxter (1861-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Union Camp established in 1861 in St. Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont. Named Camp Baxter after Horace H. Baxter, Vermont's Adjutant General at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Baxter Barracks.
Established in April 1861 at the St. Johnsbury fairgrounds as a rendezvous camp for the 3rd Vermont Regiment. The camp became a large training post for recruits from all over Vermont.
The main building on the fairgrounds was enlarged to a length of 300 feet, enclosing three tiers of bunks for 1,000 men. A dining hall ran through the center of the building. Two separate buildings were erected, one for the kitchen and one as a hospital.
Intermittently used throughout the war and abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
A stone marker and American flag along US-5 at the intersection with Interstate-91.