Fort Seward (2)
Fort Seward (2) (1861-1862) - A U.S. Army post established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War by Captain Charles S. Lovell, 6th U.S. Infantry in Humboldt County, California. Named for William H. Seward, Secretary of State under President Abraham Lincoln. Abandoned in 1862. Also known as Camp Seward and Camp on Eel River.
Established on the Eel River in Humboldt County, California on 25 Sep 1861 by Captain Charles S. Lovell, and Company B, 6th U.S. Infantry at the direction of Special Order 142 of the Headquarters, Department of the Pacific, dated 8 Aug 1861. The fort was to be built out as a single company log post put up by the troops on a reservation of about one square mile. This post was established with the intent of it replacing Fort Humboldt but that decision was reversed after the first winter as Captain Lovell had predicted. The post was abandoned in April 1862 after the winter snows had melted sufficiently for travel and the garrison removed back to Fort Humboldt.
No remains in the town of Fort Seward, Humboldt County, California.