Fort Anderson (2)
Fort Anderson (2) (1861-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War coastal fort first established in 1861 as Fort Saint Philip by Colonel William Lamb and Major John Hedrick, CSA. Renamed for General Joseph R. Anderson, CSA, who commanded the military district. Abandoned in 1865.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Cape Fear River. Established by Confederate forces in 1861 to protect the Cape Fear River approach to Wilmington and to support Confederate blockade runners.
The fort was a large sand earthworks fortification stretching over a mile between the Cape Fear River and Orton Pond. It was armed with two gun batteries of five guns each and several separate 32 pounder gun positions. A central bombproof provided shelter for the garrison and safety for the main powder magazine.
The fort was attacked by Union forces in February of 1865 as Union troops advanced on Wilmington. The fort was abandoned the night of 19 Feb 1865 after three days of fighting and Union troops occupied the fort for the remainder of the war.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 27 Jan 2010