Fort Banks (1)
Fort Banks (1) (1861-1865) - First established in 1861 as an unnamed CSA, U.S. Civil War fort on the orders of MG Mansfield Lovell (Cullum 1119). Captured by Union forces under Adm. David Farragut's command in April 1862 and named after Union Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks. Abandoned in 1865.
Originally built as a U.S. Civil War, CSA fortification for 90 men and six 32 pounders. Captured by Adm. David Farragut's Union naval forces in April 1862 and made a part of the Union fortifications surrounding New Orleans. Abandoned in 1865 at the close of the U.S. Civil War.