Fort Grant
Fort Grant (1872-1905) - A U.S. Army post established in 1872 as Camp Grant by Major William B. Royall, 5th U.S. Cavalry, in present the day town of Fort Grant, Graham County, Arizona. Named for General Ulysses S. Grant. Redesignated Fort Grant in 1879. Abandoned in 1905.
-
Fort Grant Unit, Arizona Department of Corrections formerly U.S. Army Fort Grant. Administration Building on Right.
History
A U.S. Army post established on 19 Dec 1872 as Camp Grant by Major William B. Royall, 5th U.S. Cavalry to control hostile Apache Indians and to protect settlers. The post replaced Fort Grant and was redesignated Fort Grant on 5 Apr 1879. The garrison was withdrawn in 1898 during the Spanish American War and not regarrisoned after the war. The post was abandoned on 4 Oct 1905 and placed on caretaker status.
Current Status
The site is now the Fort Grant Unit, Arizona Department of Corrections.
Context
Location:
Fort Grant Unit, Arizona Department of Corrections,
15500 S Fort Grant Road, Graham County, Arizona.
Lat: 32.623° Long: -109.946° Elevation: 4829'
Bing, Google,
OldMapsOnline,
USGS, OHM
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 38.
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2,page 13.
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 23912
Links:
- AZ0085 - Camp Grant
Related:
5th U.S. Cavalry, Camp San Carlos, Fort Grant, Fort Grant, Fort Thomas, Spanish American War, Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Ulysses S. Grant,