Fort de La Boulaye
Fort de La Boulaye (1700-1707) - A French Colonial Fort established in 1700 by Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville with his brother Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville near present-day Phoenix, Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana. Abandoned in 1707. Also known as Fort Iberville, Fort on the Mississippi, Fort Louisiana and Fort Vieux.
Established in 1700 by Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville with his younger brother Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville as the first French outpost in present-day Louisiana. It was intended to secure a French claim to the region and to counteract intrusions by the Spanish from the west and English from the east.
The post had a two-story 28-foot square log blockhouse armed with six cannons and was garrisoned by 18 men. Iberville initially left the garrison under the command of his younger brother, Bienville.
The fort was abandoned in 1707 in response to Caddo Indian threats. The commander of the post, Louis Juchereau de St. Denis was allowed to stay at the fort for a period of time and operated it as a trading post until 1711.
The Site was located in 1930, with no visible remains and underwater. Artifacts including remnants of the palisade, building logs, burned poles, and evidence of a cannonball have been recovered. Now on the National Register of Historic Places as Fort De La Boulaye Site.