Brunswick Garrison and Block-Houses
Captain David Dunning erected a strong timber Garrison/Block House. The structure was two stories high, forty feet long, twenty-two feet wide. The second story projected about three or four feet over the first floor and the walls had loop-holes for firing down on attackers. There was a tower on top of the structure that enabled defenders to track teams
Assigned Location ID ME00090.
David Giveen built an early garrison circa 1730 on a hill between New Wharf and Pennell's Wharf.
Assigned Location ID ME00096.
Deacon Samuel Hinkley and two of his sons-in-law built a garrison building at New Meadows in 1747.
Assigned Location ID ME00097.
A Garrison Building built on Ham's Hill near the head of New Meadows River on the road to Bath. This garrison was exposed to attacks from hostile Indians who followed the Indian trail between New Meadows and Pejepscot and it was near here that Seth Hinkley was killed in May 1747.
Assigned Location ID ME00098.
A Garrison/Block House was Built by James McFarland about 1730 at the intersection of Maine and Mason streets. The structure was a two-story,hewn-timber, 40-by-20 foot long blockhouse.
Assigned Location ID ME00099.
Built by John Minot as a garrison and a storehouse near Henry Minot's house on Mair Point. Dates unknown.
Assigned Location ID ME00100.
Built and owned by Thomas Skolfield (1707-1796). Garrison dates unknown.
Assigned Location ID ME00101.
Said to have been built and owned by Captain John Gatchell (1697-1771) Kings Surveyor and commander of a militia company. Garrison house dates unknown.
Assigned Location ID ME00102.
Built by William and Robert Spear on Maquoit Road about a mile from the colleges and across from the old meeting hall. The wall was sixty or seventy feet in circumference and ten feet high. Inside was a single-story gambrel-roofed house facing east occupied by Robert Spear. The back of this house formed part of the outer wall. This garrison was attacked once by hostile Indians who were successfully driven off by Mr. Spear.
Assigned Location ID ME00103.
The original gun house was built on Centre Street in 1808 but was destroyed by fire in 1809. It was quickly rebuilt and occupied by the Brunswick Artillery for a number of years until it was relocated to the south side of the eastern end of Franklin Street where it was converted into a dwelling.
Assigned Location ID ME00104.
The original powder house was built in 1804-1805 by Samuel Melcher for twenty dollars. In 1805 the town deemed the structure to be worth only four dollars and fifty cents and while they paid that amount they did not accept the building. In 1816 the town authorized a new brick powder-house to be buit at a cost of one hundred and fifty dollars. The new powder-house was built atop the hill on Pleasant Street thereafter known as Powder-House Hill. The 1816 powder-house was sold to Samuel Haywood circa 1841-1846. Haywood sold the bricks and left the remaining structure to deteriorate.
Assigned Location ID ME00105.