Fort Nash (1793-1804) - A settler Fort established circa 1793 near Beechgrove, Coffee County, Tennessee. Abandoned about 1804. Also known as Purdies Garrison.
History of Fort Nash
A settler fortification established circa 1793 on Garrison Fork near Beechgrove, Coffee County, Tennessee. Built to protect settlers and travelers but became an important stopping place and administrative center until it was abandoned about 1804.
The site was visited in 1806/7 by John Drake's survey party from Nashville to Nickajack (near Chatanooga). The map of the survey and Drake's accompanying letter are in the Tennessee State Archives. The survey depicts a substantial four-sided stockade with blockhouses at each corner. (from Christopher Jacobs 6 Jan 2019)
Marker located on U.S. Highway 41 near the town of Beechgrove (all one word). Fort site is located near Lakewood Park in a field along Paul Harrell Rd at the GPS coordinates below, private property.
Visited: 29 Apr 2016