Fort McDermit (1865-1889) - A U.S. Civil War era fort established as Quinn River Camp No. 33 in 1865 by Captain J.C. Doughty and elements of the 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry in present-day McDermitt, Humboldt County, Nevada. Renamed Camp McDermit after Lt. Colonel Charles McDermit, Commander of the Nevada Military District, who was killed 7 Aug 1865 by hostile Indians. Designated Fort McDermit 15 Apr 1879. Abandoned in 1888 and turned over to the Interior Department in 1889. Also spelled Fort McDermitt.
A U.S. Civil War era fort was established as Quinn River Camp No. 33 on 14 Aug 1865 by Captain J.C. Doughty and elements of the 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry. The post was established to control some 2000 hostile Paiute Indians and to guard travel routes north into nearby Oregon. The post was built with a 660-foot by 225-foot central parade surrounded by the post buildings. The garrison participated in the Snake War (1864-1868), Modoc War (1872-1873), and the Bannock War (1878).
The post was abandoned on 1 Dec 1888. Second Lt. Dwight E. Holley, (Cullum 3170), 1st U.S. Infantry, and seven enlisted men from Company H, 1st U.S. Infantry, were ordered to remain at the post until the authorized agent of the Interior Department arrived. The post was transferred on 24 Jul 1889.
Two original buildings remain on the Fort McDermit Indian Agency in Humboldt County, Nevada. A Nevada roadside marker is placed at the intersection of U.S. 95 and South Reservation Road.
Visited: 11 Oct 2016