The site was leased to the U.S. Government in 1941 by the City of New Bern for $1 a year for use as long as needed. Government improvements were made to the 70 acre site at a cost of $193,300.Some 85 wooden frame buildings including officer's quarters, barracks, latrines, mess halls, post exchange, an infirmary and other support building were built to support the 753 man capacity.
The camp served as a small base for guards and security personnel of the Army Ground Forces from January 1942 through March 1944. The mission of the camp at that time was to patrol the numerous installations being built or those already in existence in the surrounding area. These installations included Cherry Point Marine Corps Air Station, Camp Lejeune Marine Base, Camp Davis. The camp also housed coast artillery units that guarded the bridges over the Neuse and Trent rivers.
Camp Battle was classified as surplus to the needs of the War Department in March 1944. On 20 Jun 1944, it was reestablished for operations as a prisoner of war camp, housing German prisoners. In 1946, the site was again declared surplus and the lease was canceled on 6 Nov 1946.
Now Glenburnie Park, a sewage treatment plant and a parks maintenance storage yard for the city of New Bern.