Camp Hays (1860-1860) - A Pyramid Lake Paiute War Camp first established in 1860 in Lyon County, Nevada. Named Camp Hays after Colonel John C. Hays, Indian fighter and commander of the Washoe Regiment. Abandoned in 1860. Also spelled as Camp Hayes.
History of Camp Hays
Established in May 1860 by volunteers during the Pyramid Lake Paiute War at the site of Reeds Station, a Pony Express station.
Abandoned 26 May 1860.
No remains or markers in Lyon County, Nevada.
Location: Near Dayton, Lyon County, Nevada. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 39.2968588 Long: -119.506283
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 4,308'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 492
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 856534
Visited: 18 Mar 2014