Established in 1812 during the War of 1812.
The fort was the site of a 2 Aug 1813 attack by British General Proctor who attacked Fort Stephenson with regular British troops and Indian allies. General Proctor mounted a frontal attack on the fort when his artillery failed to penetrate the wall of the fort. The attack failed miserably and the British suffered great losses from the defender's fire and a single cannon in the fort. The cannon was moved from port to port and mowed down lines of British with well-placed grapeshot. The attackers had no siege ladders and only dull axes to remove the pickets. The British gave up the fight about 5 pm and withdrew later under cover of darkness leaving behind some 96 killed and wounded. The British Indian allies never entered the fight. British General Proctor withdrew his remaining forces by boat in disgrace.
The fort was abandoned in 1815 as the war came to an end.
The site is located at the Birchard Library in Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio. Plaques, monuments, and “Old Betsy” the cannon used in the defense of Fort Stephenson are located on the library grounds.