Fort Madison
Fort Madison (1808-1873) - A Second System U.S. Army coastal fort established in 1808 on Carr Point in present day Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Abandoned in 1873.
History
Fort Madison was described by U.S. Secretary of War William Eustis 19 Dec 1809 as: “... an enclosed work of masonry, comprehending a semi-elliptical face, with circular flanks, calculated for thirteen guns: with a brick magazine, and barracks for one company.”
The Land was transferred to the U.S. Navy in 1845 but the Fort was rebuilt in the 1850s. With the improvements, it was intended to be armed with sixteen 24-pounder guns, two 18-pounder guns, two 12-pounder guns, three field pieces, five 8" heavy seacoast howizters, one 13" mortar, one 10" heavy mortar and one light 8" mortar for a total of 31 guns. Captain Montgomery C. Meigs, U.S. Corps of Engineers, supervised the improvements between 1854-1860.
The Fort was abandoned after the U.S. Civil War in 1873 and was removed in 1909.
Current Status
Fort destroyed, site located on the grounds of the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Location:
United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Map point is approximate.
Lat: 38.985° Long: -76.464° Elevation: 0'
Bing, Google,
OldMapsOnline,
USGS, OHM
Sources:
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 386-387
Links:
Gallery
Related:
Fort Madison, Fort Nonsense, Second System, U.S. Corps of Engineers, United States Naval Academy, Montgomery C. Meigs,