51st Iowa Volunteer Infantry
51st Iowa Volunteer Infantry (1898-1899) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at Des Moines May 30, 1898, with 50 officers and 789 enlisted men.
- Attached to Second Brigade, First Division, Eighth Army Corps, February 3
- Attached to Second Brigade, Second Division, Eighth Army Corps, April 14
- Left Des Moines June 5 to 8; arrived at San Francisco, Cal., June 10
- Sailed from San Francisco on steamship Pennsylvania November 3; arrived at Manila, P. I., December 7
- remained on board in Manila Bay until December 26
- Sailed for Iloilo, P. I., on steamship Pennsylvania December 26; arrived December 28, 1898
- remained on board in Iloilo Bay until January 29, 1899,
- sailed on Pennsyvania for Manila Bay, arriving off Cavite, P. I., January 31
- disembarked and went into quarters at Cavite February 3.
- Participated in advance on San Roque, February 9.
- Stationed in Manila and vicinity until April 14
- Participated in the general advance against the insurgents to the north of Manila, arriving at Malolos April 15.
- Took part in engagements at Quingua River and Pulilan, April 24
- Calumpit, April 25
- Santo Tomas, May 4
- San Fernando, May 5
- numerous engagements in the vicinity of San Fernando May 15 to July 4
- in advance on Calulut August 9.
- On outpost duty at Calulut until September 6
- Returned to Manila September 6, and went into quarters at Cuartel de Espafia
- Sailed from Manila on transport Senator September 22; arrived at San Francisco October 22, and went into camp at the Presidio of San Francisco.
Mustered out of the service of the United States at San Francisco November 2, 1899, with 50 officers and 780 enlisted men. Casualties while in the service: Officers-suicide, 1; wounded,2. Enlisted men-killed in action, 1; wounded, 34; died of disease, 39; deserted, 1.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581