5th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry
5th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (1898-1899) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at South Framingham, Mass., June 30 to July 2,1898, with 41 officers and 1,230 enlisted men.
- Assigned to Second Brigade, Second Division, Second Army Corps, October 7
- Left South Framingham September 11; arrived at Camp Meade, Pa., September 12
- Left Camp Meade November 16; arrived at Greenville, S. C., November 18, 1898
Mustered out of the service of the United States at Greenville March 31, 1899, with 46 officers and 1,153 enlisted men. Casualties while in service: Officers- none. Enlisted men-died of disease, 13; deserted,15.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581