Alexander Blockhouse (1855-1856) - A civilian blockhouse first established in 1855 during the Yakima Indian War (1855-1858) by settlers on Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington. Named after John Alexander on whose claim it was built. Abandoned as a fortification about 1856.
Built in 1855 as a two-story log blockhouse surrounded by a ten-foot-high double log stockade with sharpened ends. The blockhouse was moved from its original location on the Alexander claim to nearby Coupville in the 1930s. John Anderson's claim encompassed the western portion of Coupville. Abandoned as a fortification about 1856 after the hostile Indians had been driven further east..
Located in Coupeville, Whidbey Island, Island County, Washington, next to the Island County Historical Museum.
Visited: 11 May 2014, 14 Apr 2010, 21 Jun 2009