Arbuckle's Fort (1774-1780s) - A Revolutionary War Fort established in 1774 near Alderson, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Named Arbuckle's Fort after Captain Matthew Arbuckle who ordered its construction. Abandoned after 1777.
Established in the spring of 1774 under the orders of Captain Matthew Arbuckle. The fort itself came to be a four-sided stockaded 110 feet on a side with 2 bastions on opposing corners. A central blockhouse with a stone base was apparently part of the original construction.
Captain Arbuckle’s militia company occupied Arbuckle’s Fort from the spring to the fall of 1774. In September 1774, Captain Arbuckle and his men left the fort to guide Colonel Andrew Lewis and the southwestern Virginia militia down the Kanawha River to Point Pleasant, where they fought in the Battle of Point Pleasant.
Other militia companies occupied Arbuckle’s Fort in 1776, 1777, and 1778. Although no large-scale attacks on this fort occurred, it was fired upon by Indian forces in 1774
A second incident came on the evening of 11 Sep 1777. Earlier that day Indians had killed three people and kidnapped another at the James Graham house in present Summers County.
Archeological excavations were conducted at Arbuckle’s Fort in 1997 and artifacts were recovered from the site. A corner of the stone blockhouse base remains and has a small plaque attached.