Battery 103 (1944-1948) - Battery 103 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery located on Fort Dearborn (4), Rockingham County, New Hampshire. Renamed Battery Seaman. Battery construction started 8 Apr 1942, was completed 15 Aug 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 8 Sep 1944 at a cost of $ 1,473,506.00. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M5 Casemated Barbette Carriages (CBC). This battery was a single level battery with the guns located on the same level as the central magazine. Each gun emplacement was casemated with heavy, reinforced concrete overhead protection and earth covering. The central magazine was built between and connected the gun emplacements so that the powder and shells could be brought directly to the guns using overhead tracks and chain hoists. See 16" Rifle MarkII-M1.
A completely separate Plotting and Fire Control Switchboard Room (PSR) is located nearby.
Part of Odiorne Point State Park, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 21 May 2018, 7 Jun 2012