Battery 105 (1944-NA) - Battery 105 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery located on Fort Dawes, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Battery construction started 2 Nov 1942, was completed 31 Aug 1944 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 28 Sep 1944 at a cost of $ 1,085,369.00. This Battery was conditionally accepted incomplete and unarmed.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery for two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M5 Casemated Barbette Carriages (CBC). This battery was a single level battery with the guns located on the same level as the central magazine. Each gun emplacement was casemated with heavy, reinforced concrete overhead protection and earth covering. The central magazine was built between and connecting the gun emplacements so that the powder and shells could be brought directly to the guns using overhead tracks and chain hoists. See 16" Rifle MarkII-M1.
Part of ....., Suffolk County, Massachusetts. No period guns or mounts in place.