Battery 107 (1942-1948) - Battery 107 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery located on the West Reservation of Fort Church, Newport County, Rhode Island. Renamed Battery Gray after Major Quinn Gray. Battery construction started in September 1939, was completed 30 May 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 May 1942 at a cost of $ 943,000.00. Deactivated in 1948.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns mounted on M3 casemated Barbette carriages. This battery was a single level battery with the guns located on the same level as the central magazine. Each gun emplacement was casemated with heavy, reinforced concrete overhead protection and earth covering. The central magazine was built between and connecting the gun emplacements so that the powder and shells could be brought directly to the guns using overhead tracks and chain hoists. See 16" Rifle MarkII-M1.
Part of Sakonnet Golf Course, Newport County, Rhode Island. No period guns or mounts in place.