Battery 155 - Bolsa Chica
Battery 155 - Bolsa Chica (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Bolsa Chica was a reinforced concrete, World War II 155mm inch coastal gun battery on Bolsa Chica Military Reservation, Orange County, California. Battery construction started in December 1941, was completed in February 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 Nov 1943 at a cost of $ 8,783.43. Deactivated in 1944. Also known as Battery 7 - Bolsa Chica.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Los Angeles.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918MI guns mounted on M1918 mobile carriages emplaced on 360 degree Panama mounts. A covered trench system connected the two gun emplacements. Guns withdrawn when Battery 242 became operational.
Located along a trail of the Bolsa Chica Wetlands Reserve. Panama mounts remain but no period guns or mounts in place. Interpretive signs. Closest access point is a parking lot on the east side of U.S. 1 about .7 of a mile south of the site. The shortest trail leads north alongside U.S. 1.
Visited: 1 Jan 2013