Battery 155 - Fermin Point
Battery 155 - Fermin Point (1941-1945) - Battery 155 - Fermin Point was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located above Fermin Point on Fort MacArthur, Los Angeles County, California. Battery construction for the Panama mounts started in December 1941, was completed in June 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 31 Aug 1943 at a cost of $ 6,332.00. Deactivated in 1945.
Originally established as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918MI rapid fire guns mounted on M1918MI mobile carriages prior to the beginning of U.S. involvement in World War II. The two guns were originally in field emplacements in a preselected site on the upper reservation of Fort MacArthur as the Harbor Examination Battery and known as Battery Hogsdon. On 7 Dec 1941 this battery was manned by Battery D, 3rd U.S. Coast Artillery. Construction began in December 1941, just after the attack on Pearl Harbor, on two Panama mounts to improve the battery. This battery with Panama mounts became the new Challenge Battery or Examination Battery for the harbor and was responsible for challenging and, if necessary, sinking any vessel not responding to commands from Harbor Entrance Command Post (HECP). This battery remained active throughout World War II and was the only active battery not put into training status on 15 Sept 1945.
No period guns or carriages in place. One Panama mount remains.
Visited: 5 Jan 2013, 31 Jan 2009