Battery 155 - Fort Baldwin
Battery 155 - Fort Baldwin (1941-1944) - Battery 155 - Fort Baldwin was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Baldwin (1), Sagadahoc County, Maine. Battery construction started in1942, was completed in 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in 1942. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Kennebec River, Maine.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1917-18 rapid fire guns mounted on M1917-18 Mobile Carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. Two of the Panama mounts were built into emplacements 1 and 2 of Battery Hawley. The other two were built beside Battery Hawley.
This battery of four 155mm mobile guns was deployed in the first six months of 1942 from Fort Preble as an emergency measure until the newer batteries could be completed. The battery guns were hauled by tractor from Fort Preble to Fort Baldwin (1) in the spring of 1942 and put into temporary emplacements while the Panama mounts were under construction. The 155mm battery was removed 17 Jan 1944.
Part of Fort Baldwin Memorial State Park, Sagadahoc County, Maine. No period guns or mounts in place. Panama mounts are visible, two of them are built into Battery Hawley and the other two are in the woods by the battery.
Visited: 14 Jun 2012
Battery 155 - Fort Baldwin Picture Gallery