Battery 155 - Imperial
Battery 155 - Imperial (1941-1943) - Battery 155 - Imperial was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Emory, San Diego County, California. Battery construction started 27 Dec 1941, was completed on 30 Jan 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 20 Nov 1942 at a cost of $ 19,102.32. Deactivated about 1943.
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Diego.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 mobile carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts. Tubular frames were provided over the gun emplacements for camouflage to conceal the guns. The Battery Commander's Station was placed on a 50' steel tower and disguised as a water tower. Underground shelters and magazines were constructed by troop labor under engineer supervision.
No remains. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 3 Oct 2014