Battery 155 - Manuels
Battery 155 - Manuels (1942-1945) - Battery 155 - Manuels was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery emplaced on concrete Panama mounts. Located near Manuels, Newfoundland.
Part of the Harbor Defense of St. John's.
One of three prepared battery locations for mobile 155mm guns for the defense of St. John's Harbor, Newfoundland. The three locations were not normally armed but were prepared with circular concrete Panama mounts ready for quick deployment of the guns and carriages from a central location. Only two guns and carriages were in storage. The three battery locations were collectively identified as tactical battery #2 (TAC-2) on the U.S. World War II Harbor Defense Plan.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery for two 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 mobile carriages. The location at Manuels provided a 180 degree field of fire to the northwest of 17,400 yards (about 10 miles) that included all of Bell Island and its immediate surroundings. Bell Island is located in Conception Bay, along the northern part of the Avalon Peninsula and was the site of important iron ore mines during World War II. Enemy ships in Conception Bay or guns on Bell Island would have been able to shell the Harbor of St. John's.
As of 31 Dec 1944, Battery C of the 24th Coast Artillery Battalion was assigned to the TAC-2 guns.
No period guns or carriages in place. Some remains of the Panama mounts may still exist.