Battery 155 - Markham
Battery 155 - Markham (1941-1945) - Battery 155 - Markham was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located near Markham, Grays Harbor County, Washington. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Grays Harbor.
Originally built as a temporary World War II era coastal gun battery with four 155mm rapid fire howitzers mounted on mobile carriages with two guns emplaced on circular concrete Panama mounts. Two guns were meant for emplacement on the concrete Panama mounts while the remaining two guns were mounted on their mobile carriages in field emplacements.
The prewar Joint Northwestern Sector Defense Plan (Rainbow No. 5) was put into effect with the outbreak of hostilities with Japan on 7 December 1941. Battery B, 144th Field Artillery of the IX Army Corps, stationed at Fort Lewis, moved immediately into positions at Markham to emplaced four 155MM howitzers. The troops were quartered under canvas until temporary WWII type quarters were completed about a year later.
The initial deployment of field artillery troops from Fort Lewis continued until the Harbor Defenses of Grays Harbor came under the command of the 56th Coast Artillery. The field artillery troops and their deployed weapons were then replaced by elements of the 56th Coast Artillery and the 249th Coast Artillery in July and September of 1942. In January 1945 all the Coast Artillery assignments at Grays Harbor were terminated leaving only guards until the remaining ammunition was removed.
It is unclear when the battery at Markham was actually abandoned but certainly by January 1944.
Remains of the two circular Panama mounts and two underground magazines on private property. No period guns or carriages in place.