Battery 155 - Pascagoula
Battery 155 - Pascagoula (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Pascagoula was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts located on Pascagoula Military Reservation in Jackson County, Mississippi. Deactivated on 13 Jan 1944.
Part of the Temporary Harbor Defense of Pascagoula, Mississippi.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918M1 rapid fire guns mounted on M1917 Mobile Carriages emplaced on timber mats in field emplacements. Circular concrete Panama mounts were completed in 1943. Seven magazines were built, three for the 155mm guns and four for small arms ammunition.
A fire control station was built atop a wooden tower with a plotting room at ground level. Additional facilities included two base end stations, two 60" portable searchlight towers, and three 18" beach defense searchlights.
The base camp included ten prefab 6-man hutments, a mess hall, an administration building, latrines, and a recreation hall. The post was garrisoned by Battery E, 3rd Battalion, 50th U.S. Coast Artillery.
Broken up Panama mounts in the surf. No period guns or mounts in place.