Battery 155 - Point Loma
Battery 155 - Point Loma (1939-1943) - Battery 155 Point Loma was a World War II temporary 155mm mobile coastal gun battery on Fort Rosecrans, San Diego County, California. In 1941 construction started on four fixed concrete emplacements for the mobile guns. These emplacements were called Panama mounts because they were first used in defense of the Panama Canal. Battery construction started in March 1941, was completed 20 May 1941 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 28 Apr 1942 at a cost of $ 7,166.03. The battery was deactivated in 1943 when it was replaced by Battery AMTB - Cabrillo.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Diego.
Originally a World War II mobile gun battery with four, 155mm, M1917/M1918 guns mounted on M1917/M1918 mobile carriages. The guns and mobile carriages were initially used without fixed gun pads. Construction of the Panama mounts was completed in mid 1941 but the whole battery was not accepted for service until April 1942, four months after the war started.
Before the war, the battery was use as an "Examination" battery to make sure that ships entering the harbor responded to commands. After the beginning of the war, the battery was used as the primary anti-submarine battery.
Battery 155 Point Loma was deactivated when Battery AMTB - Cabrillo became operational in 1943.
Part of Cabrillo National Monument, San Diego County, California. No period guns or mounts in place but emplacement #4 Panama mount is visible. Several ammunition and personnel/storage bunkers behind the gun emplacements have been refurbished. The site can be viewed on the west side of Cabrillo Drive as you come down from the upper level and foot access from the parking lot below is easy.
Visited: 2 Oct 2014, 23 Jan 2013