Battery 155 - Port Aransas
Battery 155 - Port Aransas (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Port Aransas was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Port Aransas Military Reservation, Nueces County, Texas. Battery construction started 26 Nov 1942, was completed 13 Dec 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 11 Nov 1943 at a cost of $ 24,726.42. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Temporary Harbor Defense of Aransas Pass, Texas.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1917 Mobile Carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts.
The 155mm guns replaced a temporary 105mm howitzer field artillery battery on 11 Apr 1942. The two Panama mounts were placed on mounds that were stabilized with gunite. The mounds raised the gun trunion elevation to 37' 6". Both of the Panama mounts were of the 360 degree variety. Ramps were provided to allow positioning of the guns on the Panama mounts. Five splinter proof magazines were provided along with a 23' by 17' plotting room.
The Temporary Harbor Defense of Aransas Pass was deactivated on 1 Jul 1944 and on 3 Jul 1944 the guns were removed. The troops departed on 4 Jul 1944.
The battery appears to be on the grounds of the University of Texas, Marine Science Institute and adjacent to Nueces County Park. No period guns or mounts in place but the Panama mounts are visible.
Visited: 7 Dec 2011