Battery 155 - Signal Hill
Battery 155 - Signal Hill (1941-1945) - Battery 155 - Signal Hill was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery emplaced on concrete Panama mounts and Located on Signal Hill in St. John's, Newfoundland.
Part of the Harbor Defense of St. John's.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery for four 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 mobile carriages. The location at Signal Hill provided a 380 degree field of fire of 17,400 yards (about 10 miles).
In 1942 the Signal Hill Battery became one of three prepared battery locations for mobile 155mm guns for the defense of St. John's Harbor, Newfoundland. The three locations were not normally armed but were prepared with circular concrete Panama mounts ready for quick deployment of the guns and carriages from a central location. Only two guns and carriages were in storage, the remaining two guns were deployed to Battery 155 - Stephenville.
The three battery locations were collectively identified as tactical battery #2 (TAC-2) on the U.S. World War II Harbor Defense Plan.
As of 31 Dec 1944, Battery C of the 24th Coast Artillery Battalion was assigned to the TAC-2 guns.
No period guns or carriages in place. Some remains of the Panama mounts may still exist.