Battery 155 - St Andrews Sound
Battery 155 - St Andrews Sound (1943-1944) - Battery 155 - St Andrews Sound was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on St Andrews Military Reservation, Bay County, Florida. Battery construction was completed in the summer of 1943. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Temporary Harbor Defense of Panama City, Florida.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with two 155mm M1918M1 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 Mobile high speed carriages emplaced on circular Panama mounts.
The guns for this battery were first set up in field positions on the west side of the pass into St Andrews Sound. In the summer of 1943 two 360 degree Panama mounts were constructed atop sand hills near the west jetty. A small cantonment with temporary prefab 6 man hutments was built along with several temporary frame WWII support buildings. One platoon of Battery C of the 13th Coast Artillery, consisting of about 50 men, manned the battery for only about 9 months before the Temporary Harbor Defense of Panama City was deactivated on 14 Jan 1944. The personnel and guns were removed to Fort Pickens and a small caretaking detachment remained to protect the government's fixed assets.
Part of St. Andrews State Park, Bay County, Florida. One circular Panama mount remains under an enclosure. The second Panama mount was exposed by a hurricane several years ago but is covered now. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 13 Jan 2012