Battery 155 - Westport
Battery 155 - Westport (1941-1945) - Battery 155 - Westport was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery located in Westport, Grays Harbor County, Washington. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Grays Harbor.
Originally built as a temporary World War II era coastal gun battery with four 155mm rapid-fire howitzers mounted on mobile carriages. Two guns were meant for emplacement while the remaining two guns were to be held in reserve.
The prewar Joint Northwestern Sector Defense Plan (Rainbow No. 5) was put into effect with the outbreak of hostilities with Japan on 7 December 1941. Battery A, 144th Field Artillery of the IX Army Corps, stationed at Fort Lewis, moved immediately into positions at Westport with four 155mm howitzers. The troops were quartered under canvas until temporary WWII-type quarters were completed about a year later.
The initial deployment of field artillery troops from Fort Lewis continued until the Harbor Defenses of Grays Harbor came under the command of the 56th Coast Artillery. The field artillery troops and their deployed 155mm Howitzers were then replaced at Westport by Detachment Battery C of the 56th Coast Artillery by September of 1942. The Coast Artillery brought with them two 155mm M1A1 guns to be emplaced at Westport. By 1943 four Panama mounts for the 155mm guns were in place and late in 1943-44, those Panama mounts were modified for the newer M1 155mm Long Tom guns.
In January 1944 all the Coast Artillery assignments at Grays Harbor were terminated leaving only guards until the remaining ammunition was removed.
It is unclear when the battery at Westport was actually abandoned but certainly by January 1944.
Remains of two circular Panama mounts and underground magazines on private property. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 3 Mar 2015