Battery 6" Navy - Westport
Battery 6" Navy - Westport (1941-1945) - Battery 6" Navy - Westport was a temporary, World War II, 6" Navy gun coastal battery located in Westport, Grays Harbor County, Washington. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Grays Harbor.
Originally built as a World War II coastal gun battery with two Navy 6" guns mounted on fixed Barbette mounts. The battery was constructed on the site of old Fort Chehalis at the north end of the city of Westport, Washington. Known as Battery 2 in the harbor defense.
The battery included an improvised 110 degree plotting board along with underground and tent quarters for the gun crew. The battery was manned by Battery A, 249th Coast Artillery who arrived at Westport in August 1942. The guns had been mounted by that time. The gun crew remained in tents and underground quarters until barracks were completed in December 1942.
The guns were fired in target practice in January 1943 and July 1943 and at the last firing were determined to be worn out. The guns were not resleeved and were placed in Class B status on 1 Oct 1943 and Class C on 20 Jan 1944.
In January 1944 all the Coast Artillery assignments at Grays Harbor were terminated leaving only guards until the remaining ammunition was removed.
It is unclear when the battery at Westport was actually abandoned but certainly by the end of January 1944.
Remains of one gun mount on private property. No period guns or carriages in place.